Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Latte

Have you noticed? I'm not talking about cranberries for a while. I think it's healthier for all of us. Instead lets talk about something I love dearly. No not the children they're in the previous post. Let's talk coffee.


To be specific lets talk about Pumpkin Spice Latte. We'll avoid the subject of a certain coffee shop which doesn't exist this far north but who I have a stinkin' gift card for that I am unable to redeem. 

I can't decide if I miss this drink or walking into a coffee shop where everyone is ordering this drink and smelling it combined with the general roasted coffee smell and the smell of fall air just outside the doors. 

I googled a recipe or 3 and finally found one that sounded easy. The basics are this: 2 cups milk (almond milk in my case), about 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin and some sugar substitute all mixed and brought to steamy in a pot. Then add 2 tablespoons vanilla (no really, it takes quite a bit, although I had vanilla almond milk so I reduced it) and about 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. I poured it all into a tall plastic cup and used my hand frother to get any clumps and give it a bit of foam. I poured it into 2 mugs and added strong brewed coffee to one.

The kids tried the one without coffee and Fi kinda likes it. G doesn't. Of course. When I take time to make something dairy free he never goes for it. Oh well.

It was still a nice treat on a cool windy morning. I spent quite a bit of time sitting outside talking to my brother in TN as he relayed his educational plans for the next few years. I'm hoping he can eventually find a way to get here for a visit. I'm also secretly happy that he's staying at UT Knoxville in TN instead of moving to CA to attend UC Davis. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday. 

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

maybe you can use your gift card to purchase a new cool mug or something online....? --Just a thought. Recipe sounds yummy!

Unknown said...

I'm thinking about using it to order coffee... or just holding it in my purse for our next travel across state lines which will happen eventually I'm sure.