Monday, July 18, 2011


Three days after our adventure getting to our new home we had another. G-man's birthday.

Somehow, he's 7. I'm still not sure how. Derek keeps reassuring me that it's the effect of the earth circling the sun but it seems more abrupt than that.

First thing that morning Fi got up and made him breakfast. She'd been wanting to try out the new toaster over and after a few pointers from me she asked that I leave so she could finish. After she'd made breakfast she carried it to G hoping to serve him in bed but instead found him standing in the hall rubbing his eyes. She almost yelled at him to go lay down so she could serve him and why was he always ruining her plans. He stumbled back to bed and after that I heard nothing so I have no clue what happened.

When he appeared again I hugged him and ruffled his hair and said, "You'll always be my baby, right?" and he made his noise that means, "when convenient and no one is looking." I'll take what I can get. The other baby has sprouted into something with hips and the dangerous belief that I am often wrong. I'll take convenience.

That afternoon Pop and the kids and I went to the local grocery store in search of cake. G picked out one and I asked what the cake should have written on it. He said, "Happy Birthday and my name" would be fine. As soon as the woman turned away he said, "Well, I really wanted 'Best Boy Ever' but the other will work too."

After a dinner of hamburgers and french fries we turned out the lights and sang and he blew out a candle shaped like a 7. There was a long pause as he worked out his birthday wish. As a mother that was a little terrifying. When G has a long pause it is typically right before he says something horribly inappropriate or as he's formulating a plan only an evil genius would appreciate. Finally he got to open gifts which included a card from Derek and I. On the card is a pair of underwear that sings a very annoying tune and the waist band bounces up and down in time and rattles loud googly eyes.

It seemed perfect for the child who hates clothing. When he realized he didn't have to be dressed to go outside at this house he beamed. Really. We spray him down with bug spray because of the huge mosquito population and off he goes. It's making my laundry easier at least.

I just am still having trouble with him being 7. I know soon enough he'll be 27 and there just doesn't seem to be enough days between here and there. I'm hopeful the teen years will heal up my heart enough that when it comes time for them to leave the nest I can do so in the knowledge that I taught them all I can and with a heart a little ready for them to find their own way.

1 comment:

Kellye said...

THIS ONE HAD ME IN TEARS. I FEEL YOUR PAIN. MY BABY IS GOING TO BE 6 AND I DON'T LIKE IT...AT ALL. ALSO. I ENJOY YOUR BLOG.