Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Are you buying less packaged products?



I've seen a few links to this article originally from the Wall Street Journal about current consumer buying trends and finally took the time to read it. It's interesting but probably not without bias. 


As a former couponer and generally budget minded individual it really has me thinking: why are Americans buying less of this boxed "stuff"? 

The article list a few ideas but I can't help but wonder if some of it isn't diet related. In my house we buy fewer and fewer boxed items because we've switched to reusable or handmade when possible, and the pasta doesn't really fit in with my gluten free diet. And there are a lot more celiacs then I remember hearing about a few years ago and even more people "going gluten free" for health benefits. 

Or could it be that people are finally just over buying boxed foods and getting into fresh produce? 

I know in this house I no longer have a large box of personal care items. In the past I would carry a small stockpile but anymore store brands seem to be a better deal, even with my carefully selected coupons. I make our laundry detergent and Fi and I only wear makeup for special occasions or on Sunday mornings. 

What about your household? Is anyone else noticing a decrease in box items in their home?

No comments: