Friday, January 2, 2015

Day 1


Day 1 went just fine. Better than fine, actually.

Some women wear "shapers" under their head coverings but my head is so large and my hair so thick I decided not to try that. (Never mind the added cost.)

I was astounded how much easier certain aspects of my day went. Cooking was easier without my hair falling around my shoulders or pieces falling from a ponytail. My hair was one less thing to worry about. One less thing to fuss over. One less distraction.

When I ran to a neighbors house to drop off some essential oil I didn't have to dig for a hat. My head was toasty all the way there and back and no hat hair! I fell asleep in the afternoon and figured I'd wake up with disheveled scarves on the bed and my most epic bedhead to date. But nope. Everything stayed in place!

I can see the benefits to this from a purely practical viewpoint.

It is also causing me to pause and think more carefully about some of my choices. Much like a FitBit on my wrist is a reminder to make healthier choices I'm finding the headwrap is causing me to consider my relationship to the world. Internally I'm thinking, "Are my words and choices modest? If women did this in ancient time to show that the husband was the head of the household are people going to think D wants me to do this? Or worse demands?"

Fi asked if I thought showing hair was immodest. And I of course said no. But the conversation we'd had on modesty led me to this questioning of our cultures ideas revolving around modesty. If I want to reveal the real me how much has to be covered for me personally?

So many more questions than answers.


No comments: